On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 5:19 PM, Tom Browder <tom.brow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to convert a fairly simple Perl 5 program and supporting
> modules to Perl 6 and making slow progress.

I have made much progress since Moritz showed me how to use perl6-m.

Now I have come to a point where I haven't yet found what the problem
is or how to fix it.

Using perl6-m version:

  2015.02-247-gab55cb7 built on MoarVM version 2015.02-25-g3d0404a

with the same file ('Ellipsoid.pm) but in its present state I execute:

  $ perl6-m  Ellipsoid.pm

and see:

===SORRY!=== Error while compiling Ellipsoid.pm
Placeholder variables cannot be used in a method
at Ellipsoid.pm:352
------> method� set_custom_ellipsoid
make: *** [test-e] Error 1

The file is located here:

  https://gist.github.com/4f3651c350774e065d3b

The initial part of the code for the offending method definition is:

method set_custom_ellipsoid
{
  my ($name, $major, $recip) = @_;
  $name = uc $name;
  $recip = 0 unless defined $recip;
  if ($major) {
    %ellipsoids{$name} = [ $major, $recip ];
  } else {
    croak("set_custom_ellipsoid called without semi-major radius parameter");
  }
  set_ellipsoid($name);
}

I don't see the problem there.  Is it possible the problem is in one
of the calls to the method?  I looked at all the calls but don't see
an obvious problem.

Thanks.

-Tom