So MoarVM uses its own database of the UCD. One nice thing is this can
probably be faster than calling to the ICU to look up information of each
codepoint in a long string. Secondly it implements its own text data
structures, so the nice features of the UCD to do that would be difficult to
use.

In my opinion, it could make sense to use ICU for things like localized
collation (sorting). It also could make sense to use ICU for unicode
properties lookup for properties that don't have to do with grapheme
segmentation or casing. This would be a lot of work but if something like this
were implemented it would probably happen in the context of a larger
rethinking of how we use unicode. Though everything is complicated by that we
support lots of complicated regular expressions on different unicode
properties. I guess first I'd start by benchmarking the speed of ICU and
comparing to the current implementation.