On 12/15/20 12:34 AM, WFB wrote:

    JJ may be right about the OO thing, but it makes the
    tutorial pretty much useless.  How "class" and "object"
    *relate* to Raku needs to be explained.

When we are talking about describing Classes and Objects in a few words, then I agree. Searching on the web reveals lots of tutorials for Java, C# and so on with at least a few words about what classes and objects are.

    "The best is the enemy of the good".  It is better to
    slum it a bit and make the tutorial useful. JJ will
    hate it, but he will live.

I don't think JJ hates useful tutorials. But he has to find a balance. Look in the Raku/doc repository <https://github.com/Raku/doc/graphs/commit-activity>. Every week ~15 commits. And most of them on Sunday. Of course you can spend all day and make the classtut perfect, at least what is your understanding of perfect. But there is a lot more to be documented and maintained. You have to find a level of detail that provides information for all readers and to have only a limited amount of time and resources. That is JJ trying to do. You are trying to shape the documentation for your needs. Sometimes the best documentation is not your documentation. In this case adding links for the Variables and a few sentences about classes and objects would probably not hurt but I would listen to the arguments JJ has. Because he knows the big pictures.

Best

I like Parrots idea about using links, so advanced
users don't have to wade through  what they already
know and the rest of us can figure out what is going
on.

I have been looking at some Perl 5 Class tutorials
to try to get a hang on what is going on.  But since
we do not have reference pointers ...