On 9 October 2013 18:33, Stephen Kent <k...@bbn.com> wrote:
> Ben,
>
>> It's all about incentives. Why would anyone care right now whether an
>> RFC is a standard or not? No-one beats them up for complying with
>> non-standards. Or even failing to comply with standards.
>
> That does not seem to be uniformly true. Some folks who purchase
> equipment have been know to require prospective bidders to
> assert that the products being proposed comply with selected RFCs.
>
>> If we are proposing to move into a world where we incentivise people
>> to care, then we need to actually call out people who fail to follow
>> the standards - and, as well, who fail to follow the secure standards.
>
> I think we gave up on  the notion of the IETF packet police a long time
> ago, when Jeff Schiller was Sec AD. :-)

Yeah, I don't think that's the answer. I think the answer is more
along the lines of products not taking the attitude that they should
work around everyone's broken crap, but instead that they should take
a hard line.

In short, "be liberal in what you accept" was a terrible idea for
security and its time we dropped it.

>> Just as now it is at least reasonably well understood by vendors that
>> TLS is desirable, because it gets pointed out if it isn't used, we
>> need to do the same for other secure standards.
>
> TLS has been very successful in terms of widespread deployment, and
> a lot of web sites mandate its use. But, it is also an example of
> a good technology that has often been misunderstood. If I am at home,
> making a credit-card purchase, TLS provides me with protection against
> the wrong threat. My CC number is at much greater risk of being stolen
> once it has arrived (securely) at the server, vs. when it was in transit.
> (If I were using WiFi in Starbucks the threat mode would be different.)
> The real benefit to me, as a client, is the nominal authentication of the
> web
> site offered by use of the underlying PKI. Of course, the browser PKI model
> is not so great, but it's better than nothing.
>
>> Note that TLS for SMTP does not enjoy the same level of security as
>> TLS for HTTP. Why? I claim it is because it is completely invisible to
>> users, so there's no incentives for vendors to get it right.
>
> My example above suggests another possible reason; I don't perceive
> a serious threat against inter-SMTP server hops for the vast majority of my
> e-mail.

But this is exactly the problem: 99% of the time you don't care, so
you argue that we should make it impossible to fix your problem in the
other 1% of cases.

I think the new reality is that you should worry about the 1% of the
time you care and put up with whatever slight hardships it brings for
your 99% case.