Hi Steve,

I'd like to challenge your assertions that because Gmail and Facebook have
billions of users, the bulk of Internet users do not care about pervasive state
surveillance of all or most of their of their Internet communications, and
therefore the IETF's attempts at promoting strong security have thus far been
sufficient. Privacy is often valued contextually. The fact that a user accepts
the trade-offs that Gmail presents (accepting that a private company will scan
her emails in exchange for a snappy interface or beneficial network effects)
does not mean that the same user is comfortable with pervasive government
surveillance that could allow her to be pursued (using police force) under
legal standards that are often vague or uncertain for anything she writes in
every email she sends. The state's ability to impinge on a wide range of
individual freedoms surpasses by far the ability of any single private company
to do so. The line between private and public sector data collection has
obviously blurred as more and more data is exchanged between the two, but that
does not make the two of them equivalent.

For the list: much of this thread's discussion seems to presume that the
business considerations behind individual companies' decisions about whether to
deploy secure protocols or not are unchanged from what they were four months
ago prior to the beginning of the revelations. Yet elsewhere there seems to be
a whole lot of hand-wringing going on about how much business is being lost or
how nervous various customers are in the wake of the revelations. Can we really
assume that no IT managers in charge of enterprise SIP deployments or
middlebox-based backwards-compatability solutions are even considering
re-evaluating how they balance competing requirements?

Alissa