Robin,

Primrose goes to InsureMe.com, where she will be asked for a lot of personal
data. InsureMe.com invites her to register and create a new account, with an ID
and password; all this is done over https, so InsureMe.com is confident it has
taken suitable steps to protect the data from being visible to third parties.
Third parties on the wire. Experience shows that Primrose's data is most likely to be disclosed to third parties once it is on the InsureMe.com web site. Your example goes on to cite a privacy violation in the form of Gotcher.com. But, a successful attack against InsureMe.com also would violate the confidentiality of Primrose's data.

Bottom line: I agree with your observation that privacy is not the same as
confidentiality, and we often overly simplify these discussions.

Steve