We usually just turn off the freezer and wait until it comes up to ambient
temperature with the freezer door closed.  This takes about 24 hours,
though we don't go as cold as you.  If, for some odd reason, the temp comes
up too quickly we'll bring up the temp in stages.  So far no problems.

Alan

*Alan Van Dyke *
Senior Preservation Technician
Harry Ransom Center