Personally (and others may disagree and should speak up) I would go for it
and freeze it.  There's no telling what is going on under the beads and
there's probably still activity in the claw itself.  I'm thinking that this
should freeze just fine.

I would also pull up the fabric in the case and see if you have any
activity under there.  If there are any other objects nearby, inspect them
closely as well.

Alan

*Alan Van Dyke, *Senior Preservation Technician
Harry Ransom Center <http://www.hrc.utexas.edu>
The University of Texas at Austin  <http://www.utexas.edu>
P.O. Drawer 7219
Austin, Texas 78713-7219