Barbara -

Sampling the air for mold spores is useless unless samples are also taken
outdoors in order to get a base level for your building.  I've often been
involved in such situations.  Mold spore counts on a petri dish indoors or with
an air sampling machine mean nothing.  I had a situation where mold spores were
sampled indoors and blamed on bats in the attic.  When the counts were taken
outdoors, they were three times the amounts indoors!  I guess the bat
infestation really wasn't that bad after all, at least not for the mold counts.

If you want to know the kind of mold you have, then wipe samples from the
object are best.  Find a large hospital with a mycology department.  They will
plate out your wipe samples and tell you what you have.  I usually donate a
nominal amount to some cause the mycologist might be championing for plating
out the samples.  If you just get an ID to genera, that's not real helpful.
You need the genus and species of mold.  For instance, Aspergillus Is a very
common indoor mold.  There are all sorts of species in this mold genus, which
really aren't that big a deal.  However, the bad guy is Aspergillus fumigatus.
Unless you know the species of Aspergillus, you really can't make logical
decisions about isolation and remediation.

I've been involved in mold remediation primarily in libraries where elevated
humidity causes mold blooms on the books and other items.  Books really suck up
moisture from the atmosphere and create perfect micro-climates for spore
germination and mold growth.  The cause is usually an HVAC unit out of whack.

Tom Parker