PETSc supports both --prefix and inplace install.

Suggest using inplace install - in your $HOME:

For ex:

balay@p1 /home/balay
$ tar -xzf petsc-3.19.
petsc-3.19.2.tar.gz  petsc-3.19.3.tar.gz
balay@p1 /home/balay
$ tar -xzf petsc-3.19.3.tar.gz
balay@p1 /home/balay
$ cd petsc-3.19.3
balay@p1 /home/balay/petsc-3.19.3
$ export PETSC_DIR=$PWD
balay@p1 /home/balay/petsc-3.19.3
$ export PETSC_ARCH=arch-buildfordolfin
balay@p1 /home/balay/petsc-3.19.3
$ ./configure && make
<<<

[with the required configure options to get a successful build of PETSc]

Now - with PETSC_DIR and PETSC_ARCH (env variables) - set to the above values -
try installing dolfin

Satish