On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 11:16:24AM +0100, Marc SCHAEFER wrote:
> > Just a quickie - I heard that linux does not have a working fsync() call
> At least the manpage for fsync says that it does.

The Linux fsync call (at least on ext2, I don't know if it's a
filesystem semantics issue or a VFS semantics issue) works slightly
different than the BSD call:  On Linux, fsync flushes all the file data
and *file* metadata, but doesn't handle the directory metadata.
Directories are treated as seperate files which can be fsync'd
seperately, and need to be if you're adding or removing files
synchronously.
--
Bruce Guenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                       http://em.ca/~bruceg/

PGP signature