Randolf Richardson, DevNet SysOp 29 wrote:
[sNip]

Do a shutdown -h on a live database machine with pg. It will gracefully
shut itself down.

Is that true for all OS flavors and is it dependent upon the DBA having set up proper shutdown scripts?

[sNip]

When I tested this on PostgreSQL on Novell NetWare 6 it shut down gracefully. I don't see why this would be different on other Operating Systems since the code base is essentially the same (isn't it?).

No it's not. Don't confuse the PostgreSQL code base with the operating system it's running on.

On Mac OS X (desktop version, at least) there are no shutdown scripts. All running applications are simply sent the "TERM" signal, then later sent the "KILL" signal. Luckily enough, PostgreSQL seems to respond to TERM by shutting down gracefully.

Totally off topic, but this lack of shutdown scripts, along with a lack of proper package management are the two most painful faults in Mac OS X.

Alex

     joining column's datatypes do not match