On 4/4/04 11:43 PM, "Bruce Momjian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> OK, new patch applied that causes all threads to wait until the parent
> checks their thread-specific pointers. I ran 1000 tests and all passed.
> Hopefully it will good for you too.

I'll try to give it a test tonight.

>> Dumb question...  Why would you not always use the _r functions if they
>> exist?
>
> Yes, we do use *_r functions in 7.5 if they exist, but in 7.4.X, I think
> we use the non-R if we can, though we actually just use getaddrinfo() in
> 7.4.X if it exists.  Basically, the threading tests are still in flux,
> as you can see, in 7.4.X.  It works, but it isn't 100% configure perfect
> yet.

I'm still not clear on this...  The thread_test program checks to see if the
non-r functions are thread safe.  If so, it directs you to set xxxx=yes in
the template file - I assume that causes the non-r function to be used.  If
they are not thread safe, it directs you to use xxxx=no - which I assume
causes the *_r functions to be used.  Why would you not *always* use the _r
functions if they exist, and only check for thread safety if the _r
functions do not exist?

Or, am I misunderstanding how the xxx=yes is used?

Wes

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend