Hi,

On 8/14/23 6:37 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
On Thu, Aug 10, 2023 at 08:09:34PM +0200, Drouvot, Bertrand wrote:
Agree that's worth it given the fact that iterating one more time is not that
costly here.

I have reviewed v4, and finished by putting my hands on it to see what
I could do.

Thanks!

There are two things
that we could do:
- Hide that behind a macro defined in wait_event_funcs.c.
- Feed the data generated here into a static structure, like:
+static const struct
+{
+   const char *type;
+   const char *name;
+   const char *description;
+}

After experimenting with both, I've found the latter a tad cleaner, so
the attached version does that.

Yeah, looking at what you've done in v5, I also agree that's better
that what has been done in v4 (I also think it will be easier to maintain).

I am not sure that "pg_wait_event" is a good idea for the name if the
new view.  How about "pg_wait_events" instead, in plural form?  There
is more than one wait event listed.

I'd prefer the singular form. There is a lot of places where it's already used
(pg_database, pg_user, pg_namespace...to name a few) and it looks like that
using
the plural form are exceptions.

One log entry in Solution.pm has missed the addition of a reference to
wait_event_funcs_data.c.

Oh right, thanks for fixing it in v5.

And..  src/backend/Makefile missed two updates for maintainer-clean & co,
no?
Oh right, thanks for fixing it in v5.

One thing that the patch is still missing is the handling of custom
wait events for extensions.

Yeah, now that af720b4c50 is done, I'll add the custom wait events handling
in v6.

So this still requires more code.  I was
thinking about listed these events as:
- Type: "Extension"
- Name: What a module has registered.

That sounds good to me, I'll do that.