On Wed, 20 Mar 2024 at 19:08, Andrey M. Borodin <x4...@yandex-team.ru> wrote:
> Timer-based bits contribute to global sortability. But the real timers we
> have are not even millisecond adjusted. We can hope for ~few ms variation in
> one datacenter or in presence of atomic clocks.

I think the main benefit of using microseconds would not be
sortability between servers, but sortability between backends. With
the current counter approach between backends we only have sortability
at the millisecond level.

However, I don't really think it is incredibly important to get the
"perfect" approach to filling in rand_a/rand_b right now. As long as
we don't document what we do, we can choose to change the method
without breaking backwards compatibility. Because either approach
results in valid UUIDv7s.