Hello Peter,

About the pg_dump code, I'm wondering whether it is worth generating
LOCALE as it breaks backward compatibility (eg dumping a new db to load it
into a older version).

We don't really care about backward compatibility here.  Moving forward,
with ICU and such, we don't want to have to drag around old syntax forever.

We will drag it anyway because LOCALE is just a shortcut for the other two LC_* when they have the same value.

How about this patch?

It applies cleanly, compiles, global & pg_dump make check ok, doc gen ok.

I'm still unconvinced of the interest of breaking backward compatibility, but this is no big deal.

I do not like much calling strlen() to check whether a string is empty, but this is pre-existing.

I switched the patch to READY.

--
Fabien.