Tom Lane wrote:
David Fetter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 11:49:38AM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
At the moment I have to write things like:

update tname set foo = bar ...  where foo is null or foo <> bar

One way I've done this is make RULEs which basically drop non-updating
"UPDATEs" on the floor.

A BEFORE UPDATE trigger would be better, and probably hardly more
expensive than a wired-in facility (especially if you were willing to
write it in C).

Yes. I also prefer the trigger idea to a rule because triggers are easy to enable and disable. It's still a lot of work for what must be a common want, though. Could it be done generically?

cheers

andrew