Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Tom Lane wrote:
A BEFORE UPDATE trigger would be better, and probably hardly more
expensive than a wired-in facility (especially if you were willing to
write it in C).

Yes. I also prefer the trigger idea to a rule because triggers are easy to enable and disable. It's still a lot of work for what must be a common want, though. Could it be done generically?

Well, you could write the trigger in C and it'd work for any table.
I think it could be as simple as a memcmp of the tuples' data areas,
since we now require padding bytes to be 0 ...

Ah. Good. Thanks, that's the piece I was missing.

cheers

andrew