Greg Smith wrote:
On Sun, 16 Mar 2008, Bruce Momjian wrote:

Oh, what I would really like is to be able to pull up archives.postgresql.org emails based on message id so I can link to the entire thread. Unfortunately, it doesn't work there, nor does Google or any of the other Postgres email archive sites.

This is something I've been looking into my own organization. The message ids are at the start of the archive web pages. For example your e-mail here I'm replying to begins like this if you look at the page source:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-03/msg00554.php
<!-- MHonArc v2.6.16 -->

I was thinking of writing something that scraped the archives building a lookup table out of this information. What would be nice is if the X-Message-Id and X-Reference were both put into the regular HTML for future archived messages so that it's more likely tools like Google could search based on them. A brief glance at the MHonArc documentation suggests that could be run to re-covert any existing messages that are still available in order to add to those even.

We are sucking a lot of this data down to the db on search.postgresql.org already. Does it make sense to do it there perhaps? Is there need for anything more than a unique-messageid-hit? If that's all we need, we could easily have an url like http://search.postgresql.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED] redirect to the proper page on archives?

//Magnus