From the "idle thoughts in the middle of the night" department:

I don't know if this has come up before exactly, but is it possible that we could get a performance gain from building multiple indexes from a single sequential pass over the base table? If so, that would probably give us a potential performance improvement in pg_restore quite apart from the projected improvement to be got from running several steps in parallel processes. The grammar might look a bit ugly, but I'm sure we could finesse that.

cheers

andrew