Hi,

Simon Riggs wrote:
Classification of Replication Techniques

Thanks for your classifications. It helps a great deal to clarify.

Type 2 is where you ship the WAL (efficient) then use it to reconstruct
SQL (flexible) and then apply that to other nodes. It is somewhat harder
than type 1, but requires less infrastructure (IMHO). Definitely
requires less data shipping from Primary node, so very possibly more
efficient.

What leads you to that conclusion? AFAICT a logical format, specifically designed for replication is quite certainly more compact than the WAL (assuming that's what you mean by "less data").

The only efficiency gain I can see compared to type 1 is, that most of the processing work is offloaded from the master to the slave(s). For setups with multiple slaves, that's a bad trade-off, IMO.

Previously, most RDBMS vendors supported type 1a) systems. They have now
moved to type 2 and 3 systems. Both DB2 and Oracle support a type 2
*and* a type 3 replication system. The reasons they do this are valid
for us also, so I suggest that we do the same. So for me, it is not
about whether we do type 2 or type 3, I think we should do both.

I currently don't think type 2 is doable with any reasonable effort, but hey, I'm always open for surprises. :-)

Which of IBM's and Oracle's products are you referring to?

Regards

Markus Wanner