Zdenek Kotala wrote:
Hi Heikki,

I'm sorry for lack of explanation. It is my fault.

Heikki says (on commit fest wiki):
I believe I debunked this patch enough already. Apparently there's some compatibility issue between 32-bit and 64-bit Sparcs, but this patch didn't catch that. It doesn't seem like this provides any extra safeness or better error messages. If I'm missing something, please provide more details on what scenario we currently have a problem, and how this helps with it.

The original proposal (http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/[EMAIL PROTECTED]) contains two parts. First part is implementation of --footprint cmd line switch which shows you page layout structures footprint. It is useful for development (mostly for in-place upgrade) and also for manual data recovery when you need to know exact structures. Second part was add this information also into pg_control.file, but how you correctly mentioned there is not real use case to do it at this moment.

However, there is still --footprint switch which is useful and it is reason why I put it on wiki for review and feedback. The switch could also use in build farm for collecting footprints from build farm members.

Ok, understood. I'll take another look from that point of view.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas