Heikki Linnakangas napsal(a):
Zdenek Kotala wrote:
Heikki Linnakangas napsal(a):

<snip>

AFAICS you can get all the same information from pg_controldata. We have a pretty good idea of the alignments of all the usual platforms anyway. If someone says in a bug report that they're running on x86_64 or 32-bit Sparc, we know what the alignments on those platforms are.

And if you're working at such a low level, it's not that hard to calculate the offsets within the struct manually.

I'm not sure if it is so easy. Are you able do it for SPARC, PPC or other non x86 CPUs?

Not off the top of my head. But I am able to do it on x86 and x86_64 which are the platforms I work and debug on.

OK. You convinced me that information could be collected from other sources.

<snip>

It could also report changes in alignment.

Huh? I would be pretty surprised if the alignment changed randomly on some platform.

I thought if somebody change compiler switches - for example 32/64 compilation. But it is probably rare case.

        Zdenek

--
Zdenek Kotala              Sun Microsystems
Prague, Czech Republic     http://sun.com/postgresql