Gregory Stark napsal(a):
Zdenek Kotala <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Hmm, good question.  For example ZFS is platform independent, you can take disk
from SPARC machine and plug it into x86 and ZFS works perfectly.

FWIW as far as I know *all* filesystems are platform independent. (Of course
now someone is surely going to find some counter-example) Doesn't really
change the argument though.

Yeah, of course. I selected bad word. ZFS write data structures in native endian format. It does not need convert data to correct byte order. Only if you switch harddisk from SPARC to x86 you need convert bytes order. Other systems has a penalty for endian conversion on oposit platform or conversion is not supported. However, I'm not sure if ext3 filesystem which is created on x86 machine is readable under linux on SPARC machine? FAT32 works fine :-) everywhere.

Maybe optimized platform independence is better term.

                Zdenek

--
Zdenek Kotala              Sun Microsystems
Prague, Czech Republic     http://sun.com/postgresql