Greg Smith wrote:
PostgreSQL advocacy point, one of the questions Tom asked about a bit upthread is still a bit hazy here. There are commercial database offerings selling into the "trusted" space already. While the use-cases you describe make perfect sense, I don't think it's clear to everyone yet if there's a unique draw to a PostgreSQL + selinux solution that the class of customers you're talking about would prefer it to purchasing one of those products. Is the cost savings the main driver here, or is there something else about a secure LAPP stack that makes it particularly compelling?

According to the data available to me, it is a combination of doing it better than the other guys (e.g., a SELinux type interface instead of something handcrafted) and the usual cost savings.