Tom Lane wrote:
Alvaro Herrera <alvhe...@commandprompt.com> writes:
Sergey Burladyan escribió:
maybe build farm can help to test it ?

Yes, I think we should implement it and see what happens with the
buildfarm.  If we stand still and do nothing, we won't be any wiser.

The buildfarm is irrelevant to the fact that some platforms don't
have ngettext.

If the patch is designed to use ngettext where available, and to be no
worse than what we have where it isn't, then we could consider it.

It depends also on what we *want* to target. I originally omitted the plural support because it was a GNU extension, and I wanted to support "standard" gettext implementations as well. (There was also a licensing consideration.) Solaris is the "original" implementation of this API, so it can serve as a reference point.

But it is open to debate whether that decision is more useful than the tradeoff it imposes.

What I read now, however, is that Solaris 9 introduced the GNU-compatible ngettext extension, which changes the above argument considerably.

Given the current information available to me, I would also be satisfied to require ngettext() and reject NLS support on platforms that don't provide it.