Tom Lane wrote:
Peter Eisentraut <pete...@gmx.net> writes:
Greg Stark wrote:
If the "(n rows)" is the *only* message that needs it then I think it
would be simpler to just make it "(Rows: n)" instead. But I wouldn't
be surprised if there were other messages with similar issues.

There are a few more, e.g.,

%d index pages have been deleted
%d connections
Identifier must be less than %d characters.

What's supposed to happen when a message contains more than one
number (for example, most of the vacuum activity messages)?

Heh. Good point. That is not supported. It would obviously explode the API. But I agree it's a problem.

Btw., you can find out how much of a problem by using

for x in $(find . -name "*.pot"); do msggrep -K -E -e '%[diu] [[:alpha:]].*%[diu] [[:alpha:]]' $x; done

and manually hand-filtering the rest. I count about 16 problem messages. They are mostly vacuum messages as well as messages of the kind "expected %d things but received only %d items". There are a number of additional messages that circumvent the problem by writing "expected %d things but received only %d", but that is not possible in all cases.