On 06/03/2009 06:38 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
Andres Freund wrote:
On 06/03/2009 06:17 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
Tom Lane wrote:
I think the appropriate question is why doesn't it work on
Windows, and is that fixable? Without having looked, I'm
guessing the issue is that it depends on hardlinks or symlinks
--- and we know those are available, as long as you're using
recent Windows with NTFS. Which does not sound like an
unreasonable baseline requirement for someone committing from
Windows.
I think it could probably be made to work on WIndows if really
necessary (e.g. by translating into perl).
Is the fact that its implemented as a shell script the real
problem? Isn't it more that "symlinks" aka Junction Points are
really dangerous <= WinXP? (Deleting a symlink recurses to the
target and deletes there).
You have carefully left out the first sentence of my reply.
Sorry, I didnt want to imply anything by that.

And yes, we know about junction points. I don't think either of us is
doing any development work on XP. I do most of my Windows work on my
laptop, which has Vista (and thus mklink as well as junction
points).
Good then.

And yes, the fact that it's a shell script can be a problem if
you're not using a Unix-like shell environment.
The git for windows installation includes a functional unix-alike shell
(mingw, not cygwin or such). Some core part of git are still written in
shell, so it would not work without that anyway.

Andres