Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

client_encoding defaults to server_encoding, which is correct in the typical environment where the client and the server have identical locale settings, which I believe is why we don't see more confused users on mailing lists. However, a partner of ours was recently bitten by this. That was on Windows; I'm not 100% sure if LC_CTYPE is set correctly there by default, but this seems like a good idea nevertheless.

IIRC Windows locales are not set via the environment. We've had to do some special hackery in a few placed to deal with that.

cheers

andrew