On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 10:00 AM, Heikki
Linnakangas<heikki.linnakan...@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Here's my first attempt at setting client_encoding automatically from
> locale.
>
> It adds a new conninfo parameter to libpq, "client_encoding". If set to
> "auto", libpq uses the encoding as returned by
> pg_get_encoding_from_locale(). Any other value is passed through to the
> server as is.

i was trying to test this and make a simple program based on the first
libpq example that only shows client_encoding

this little test compiles fine until i applied your patch :(

postg...@casanova1:~/pg_releases/pgtests$ gcc -o test-libpq
test-libpq.o -L/usr/local/pgsql/head/lib -lpq
/usr/local/pgsql/head/lib/libpq.so: undefined reference to
`pg_get_encoding_from_locale'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

just in case i attached the test program.

--
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova

static void
exit_nicely(PGconn *conn)
{
    PQfinish(conn);
    exit(1);
}

int
main(int argc, char **argv)
{
    const char *conninfo;
    PGconn     *conn;
    PGresult   *res;

    /*
     * If the user supplies a parameter on the command line, use it as the
     * conninfo string; otherwise default to setting dbname=postgres and using
     * environment variables or defaults for all other connection parameters.
     */
    if (argc > 1)
        conninfo = argv[1];
    else
        conninfo = "dbname = postgres";

    /* Make a connection to the database */
    conn = PQconnectdb(conninfo);

    /* Check to see that the backend connection was successfully made */
    if (PQstatus(conn) != CONNECTION_OK)
    {
        fprintf(stderr, "Connection to database failed: %s",
                PQerrorMessage(conn));
        exit_nicely(conn);
    }

	/* i wanna know what the client_encoding is */
    res = PQexec(conn, "SHOW client_encoding");
    if (PQresultStatus(res) != PGRES_TUPLES_OK)
    {
        fprintf(stderr, "SHOW command failed: %s", PQerrorMessage(conn));
        PQclear(res);
        exit_nicely(conn);
    }

    printf("client_encoding: %s", PQgetvalue(res, 0, 0));
    printf("\n");

    PQclear(res);

    /* close the connection to the database and cleanup */
    PQfinish(conn);

    return 0;
}