--On 9. August 2009 13:00:07 -0400 Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

Mph.  Does Oracle adopt the same semantics for what a mixed call means?

I had a look at the Oracle documentation while reviewing this patch, and i thought we are pretty close to what they do. Maybe Pavel can comment more on it.

Because my next complaint was going to be that this definition was
poorly chosen anyway --- it seems confusing, unintuitive, and
restrictive.  If the function is defined as having parameters (a,b,c)
then what does this do:

        select foo(1, 2, 3 as b);

and what's the argument for having it do that rather than something
else?

Since b is ambiguous we error out (I don't know what Oracle does, but i would be surprised if they do anything different).

--
Thanks

        Bernd