The problem comes from the foo_malformed_terminator.data file.
It is supposed to have a malformed terminator that was not catch by patch. The second line should look like:
2   two^M

If it does not, you can edit it with emacs, go at the end of the second line and press Ctrl+q followed by Ctrl+m and that will do the trick. I am attaching a copy of the file, hoping that the attachment will arrive with the malformed terminator in your inbox!

manu