Many people still run [7.4], so why make them move?
Many people still run 7.3... We made them move..
A nitpick. Nobody "made" anyone move.

PHP 4 was EOL some time ago but is still in widespread use. We still see occasional postings regarding 7.3 and sometimes even earlier.

The software doesn't suddenly stop working when it hits EOL. It is just an expectations-setting statement to end-users that the release is no longer likely to receive attention from the core team.

Users are, of course, free to use/self-support the software as they see fit. It's open-source, after all.

Cheers,
Steve
(who is in favor of 7.4 EOL despite one remaining 7.4 server in my upgrade queue)