Tom Lane wrote:
Greg Smith <g...@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
What I was trying to suggest was that right now, there are situations where a new deployment on 8.1 is still completely reasonable and possible to justify in the Enterprise Linux space, whereas I don't know of any situation where 7.4/8.0 can be similarly defended as a good idea.

Okay, but how much of the argument for that hinges on it being the only
thing Red Hat will support on RHEL5?
Sure, at some point in 2010, we may reach a point where it would be ill advised to build a new system using RHEL5/PG8.1. I was suggesting more that there are completely reasonable reasons to deploy 8.1 even right now in 2009, and people are doing so. That gives the release a lot more future than 7.4 and 8.0, which anyone sensible gave up on a while ago. I'm all for dropping those older ones, but I don't think getting more aggressive than that and bundling 8.1 in while you're at it is so wise.

g...@2ndquadrant.com  www.2ndQuadrant.com