Tom Lane wrote:
It's obvious that the people who want this are entirely willing
to adopt a Pollyanna-ishly optimistic view about its potential
to cause serious problems that we may or may not be able to fix.

I don't really expect to be able to prevent something along this line
from getting committed --- I'm merely hoping to circumscribe it as much
as possible and get large WARNING items into the manual's description.

Well, we seem to have got much closer to what you can live with on the END block issue, although we took a rather roundabout route to get there.

Perhaps with a little more work we can achieve something similar on the on_perl_init front (which, in any case, I don't regard as being as important as the END blocks, although Tim might not agree.)

cheers

andrew