On 02/03/2010 01:20 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
I am not sure I really understand why anyone is a rush to make this
change.  What harm is being done by the status quo?  What benefit do
we get out of changing the default?  The major argument that has been
offered so far is that "if we don't change it now, we never will", but
I don't believe that the tenor of this discussion supports the
contention that Tom or anyone else never wants to make this change.

For myself, it isn't so much a rush as a sense that the code out there that will break, will never change unless forced, and any time seems better than never.

Correct me if I am wrong - but I think this issue represents an exploitable SQL injection security hole. I switched because I convinced myself that the ambiguity of \' represented actual danger. I'm concerned that if the web front end doing parameter checking and passing in code using either '' quoting or \' quoting can be exploited if the server happens to be configured the opposite way. To me, this ambiguity can only be addressed by everybody agreeing on the right way to do it, and '' quoting seems like the right way to do it to me.

Cheers,
mark

--
Mark Mielke<m...@mielke.cc>