Pavel Stehule wrote:
2010/3/3 Yeb Havinga <yebhavi...@gmail.com>:
Theo Schlossnagle wrote:
I didn't look deeply at the postgres internals to see if there was a way
to do double -> numeric and integer-types -> numeric without intermediary
string format.  If that sort of thing is easy to leverage, I'd be happy to
share the code.

I think your code could be valuable for postgres on the fact alone that it
is almost twice as fast, and probably easy to integrate and unit test. We
make heavy use of the numeric data type, so I'm very interested!

I did some test and numeric->double is about 5% faster than
numeric->string->double (on my PC)
numeric_to_double_no_overflow() also uses string as intermediate format.

Theo's conversions are the converse, from double to numeric, and do not use string as intermediate format (if I understand it correct). (where float8_numeric http://doxygen.postgresql.org/backend_2utils_2adt_2numeric_8c.html#2de7f65c8de4b65dad441e77ea1bf402 does)

regards
Yeb Havinga