On Thu, 18 Mar 2010, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

On Thu, 2010-03-18 at 10:18 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
It's already in the docs, so if they read it and understand it they can
add it to the postgresql.conf if they so choose.

I agree with Josh Berkus that vacuum_defer_cleanup_age should be in
postgresql.conf.  We don't stop listing items just because they are
dangerous, e.g. fsync, or to discourage their use.  I believe Greg Smith
also felt it should be included.

Or, let's put it another way: I've made my opinion clear in the past
that I think that we ought to ship with a minimal postgresql.conf with
maybe 15 items in it.  If we are going to continue to ship with
postgresql.conf "kitchen sick" version, however, it should include
vacuum_defer_cleanup_age.

+1

As usual, the postgresql.conf is entirely too full. We should ship with
the top 15. If this gains any traction, I am sure that Greg Smith,
Berkus and I could provide that list with nothing but a care bear
discussion.

+1 ... but, why the 'top 15'? why not just those that are uncommented to start with, and leave those that are commented out as 'in the docs' ... ?

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scra...@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scra...@hub.org