On 26/05/10 20:10, Kevin Grittner wrote:
Heikki Linnakangas<heikki.linnakan...@enterprisedb.com>  wrote:

One way to do that would be to refrain from flushing the commit
record to disk on the master until the standby has acknowledged
it.

I'm not clear on the benefit of doing that, versus flushing the
commit record and then waiting for responses.  Either way some
databases will commit before others -- what is the benefit of having
the master lag?

Hmm, I was going to answer that that way no other transactions can see the transaction as committed before it has been safely replicated, but I now realize that you could also flush, but refrain from releasing the entry from procarray until the standby acknowledges the commit, so the transaction would look like in-progress to other transactions in the master until that.

Although, if the master crashes at that point, and quickly recovers, you could see the last transactions committed on the master before they're replicated to the standby.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas