Thom Brown wrote:

Looks like the last time this was discussed, there wasn't any clear
conclusion.  Someone created a patch and it's still on the TODO list:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-01/msg01845.php

This is not at all what Simon proposed. He wants to make it a backend command, not a psql command.

I don't have a horse in the race, particularly. If we really want more utility commands, my preference would be to concentrate on those that are hard rather than those that could be easily done, e.g. a command that would give you the SQL necessary to create a given object.

cheers

andrew