On 09/28/2010 09:43 PM, Darren Duncan wrote:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
What about

FOR EACH var IN array_expr LOOP ...

I think this requires reserving EACH, which could cause a regression for
working code.  Maybe there's a way to make it work?

What about saying FOR-EACH instead?

A good general solution that I'd expect to not cause regressions is to separate multiple-word keywords with dashes rather than spaces.

Since unquoted identifiers don't have dashes, I think, and moreover because the whole FOR-EACH would occupy the first position of the statement rather than the first two, there should be no ambiguity.

Parsing should be easier, too, because keywords formatted like this would just be a single term rather than having infinite variations due to embedded whitespace.

This would actually make the parsing infinitely more ugly, not less. And we are not gong to start introducing non-alphabetic characters into keywords. It is also, as Tom noted about the earlier version, without any obvious connection to array processing.

cheers

andrew