> Robert Haas  wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 3:57 PM, Kevin Grittner
>  wrote:
>> Robert Haas  wrote:
>>
>>> I think filtered is pretty clear and like it...
>>
>> I find it ambiguous. [Takes sip of filtered water.]
>
> Oh, you mean water that had some things you didn't want taken out
> of it?

Right -- God only knows the number of things were filtered out to
leave me with filtered water.  What's "filtered" in this case is what
was passed through, not what was removed.

I hadn't even thought about "filtered" as meaning the input to the
filtering process until Tom mentioned it, but on a different day, in
a different mood, it might also be what I assumed was meant by
"number filtered".

It's kinda hard to imagine a *more* ambiguous term.

-Kevin