Hi Peter,

   Another possibility is
        foo->bar(baz)
This is in the SQL standard under<attribute or method reference>, but
it requires the left side to be of a reference type, which is something
that we don't have.
I think this is the point where I stopped my efforts in the past -- I guessed that a reference, in PostgreSQL relational algebra, could be a pair of a pg_class oid together with the object's oid (having to query the pg_class oid each time seemed very expensive to me, then). I fiddled around with a little C programming, then I lost confidence in whether I was doing something reasonable -- I was afraid I did not know enough about the internals to predict a convincing outcome.

All the best,

    Nick