On 02/16/2011 04:24 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 1:02 PM, Stephen Frost<sfr...@snowman.net>  wrote:
* Andrew Dunstan (and...@dunslane.net) wrote:
On 02/15/2011 11:13 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:
Think I suggested that at one point.  I'm all for doing that on a major
version change like this one, but I think we already had some concerns
about that on this thread (Andrew maybe?).
I could live with it for a release if I thought we had a clear path
ahead, but I think there are some design issues that we need to
think about before we start providing for header lines and variable
formats in CSV logs, particularly w.r.t. log rotation etc. So I'm
slightly nervous about going ahead with this right now.
I believe the suggestion that Robert and I were talking about above was
to just unilatterally change the CSV log file output format to include
current_role.  No header lines, no variable output format, etc.

I do think we can make header lines and variable output work, if we can
get agreement on what the semantics should be.
I think we're back to not having a consensus on a reasonable way to
proceed here.  Let's take this up again for 9.2.

That's up to you. I can certainly live with what is suggested in Stephen's penultimate para above.

cheers

andrew