On Tuesday, June 28, 2011, Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> wrote:

> On 06/28/2011 03:17 PM, Dave Page wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 8:02 PM, Magnus Hagander<mag...@hagander.net>  wrote:
>
> If we can find a good way to do it, I think having BF animals
> automatically picking up new branches is a very good thing to have. So
> don't give up so easily :D If adding a more or less random file to
> back branches is the only way to do it, I'm for doing that - I'd just
> like to find some method that feels cleaner. But maybe I'm just
> bikeshedding for no real use here.
>
> Adding new branches automatically would be great, but it'll need some
> work from the animal herders as well as some careful design - for
> example, my Windows animals have separate schedules for each branch
> (some running more frequently than others), whilst my Solaris ones now
> use a runner script that cycles through the list of branches on each
> of a couple of animals.
>

> Modern buildfarm code has a wrapper builtin. So my crontab usually just looks
> like this:
>
>    27 * * * * cd bf && ./run_branches.pl --config=nightjar.conf --run-all
>
> The buildfarm.conf has a section like this:
>
>    if ($branch eq 'global')
>    {
>         $conf{branches_to_build} = [qw( HEAD REL9_1_STABLE
>    REL9_0_STABLE REL8_4_STABLE REL8_3_STABLE REL8_2_STABLE)];
>    }
>
> What I'd like to do is to allow this to read:
>
>    if ($branch eq 'global')
>    {
>         $conf{branches_to_build} = 'ALL';
>    }
>
> and have it choose the right set for you.

Oh, cool. Guess I'll be reconfiguring my animals soon :-)

> But if you want to run some more frequently you'd still be stuck having to
> manage that yourself. There's actually not a lot of point in doing it that
> way, though. We don't build unless there have been changes on the branch,
> unless told otherwise, so you might as well run frequently and test all the
> branches - for the most part only HEAD (i.e. master) will be built because it
> gets far more changes than the back branches.

It was something Tom asked for ages ago, so he could see if the
Windows build got broken more promptly. I didn't want multiple
branches running with increased frequency as I run a number of animals
on a single machine with vmware, and a back patched change could cause
a lot of extra work.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com