On 12/02/2012 10:05 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
I'd like to change the way we set the CONTRIB_TESTDB name for contrib
modules. so that each module doesn't wipe out the previous module's test
db.
Personally I always thought that was a feature not a bug.  If we give
each one its own DB, there will be a couple of dozen databases
cluttering the installation at the end of "make installcheck", and no
convenient way to get rid of them.  Moreover, what I think you've got
in mind doesn't work in the "make check" case anyway --- you'd have
little alternative but to test upgrading each one separately.

The last point at least doesn't seem relevant. The test script we currently use for pg_upgrade uses "make installcheck" and the new cross-version upgrade testing I'm working on relies on having the items to be upgraded established via "make installcheck".

How about if we have a make target to clean these databases out, "installcheck-clean", maybe? Alternatively, or in addition, how about if we have a separate make target to do things the way I'm suggesting, assuming I can make that work?

Testing upgrading each contrib module separately is really very sub-optimal.

cheers

andrew