On 01/03/2013 02:17 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
* Hannu Krosing (ha...@krosing.net) wrote:
Can't we actually fix these to preserve file creation date like tar
does and still keep
unix file semantics ?
I'm not sure that I really see the advantage to trying to use the
filesystem to keep this information for us..?
If we would treat "database" as a file in this case then it would give us pre-defined meaning :)
So it is as about agreeing on what we actually want this "create time"
mean opening a can of worms as tom predicted ?
I agree that we need to hash out what, exactly, the values mean, but I
don't think that's a terribly difficult thing to do.

For example, how would this work in replication context ?
If it's stored in the database catalogs, this is clear- it's replicated
just like the catalog, and then you don't have to worry about trying to
ensure that the file creation timestamp in the filesystem is right...
But then some customer comes and wants it to mean "when was this replica database created" ?
        Thanks,

                Stephen