On 04.01.2013 22:05, Josh Berkus wrote:

Next question is what people think about back-patching into 9.2 so as
to eliminate the performance regression vs 9.1.  I believe this would
be safe (although some care would have to be taken to put the added
boolean fields into places where they'd not result in an ABI break).
However it may not be worth the risk.  The 40% slowdown seen with
Pavel's example seems to me to be an extreme corner case --- Dong's
result of 8% slowdown is probably more realistic for normal uses
of SPI_execute.  Might be better to just live with it in 9.2.
Thoughts?

8% is a pretty serious regression, for those of us with applications
which do a lot of dynamic SQL.  As a reminder, many people do dynamic
SQL even in repetitive, performance-sensitive functions in order to
avoid plan caching.   Also partition-handlers often use dynamic SQL, and
a 10% drop in loading rows/second would be a big deal.

+1 for backpatching.

- Heikki