I agree it's pretty dumb that there's currently no such escape. I think JDBC
inherited that design mistake from ODBC. Fixing that would be a good idea.

Lance Anderson, Oracle's JDBC spec lead, says [1] we can implement something like:

    SELECT * FROM tbl WHERE data {postgres qm} 'abc'

Thanks to Mark Rotteveel for driving the discussion. [2]

That said, it occurs to me that there's one fairly simple thing we could also
do in the backend. At the moment, unlike function and table names, operators
cannot be quoted. It would be easy to allow this in the grammar:

select 1 operator("+") 1;

I guess I see 2 simple options and 1 complex option:

a) [simple] operator("+") per Heikki
b) [simple, but not popular] alias ? to ~ per Seamus
c) [complex] {postgres blah} per Lance/Mark

How to decide?

Best,
Seamus

[1] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdbc-spec-discuss/2013-February/000058.html [2] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdbc-spec-discuss/2013-February/date.html#51 (threaded view gets it out of order)

--
Seamus Abshere
sea...@abshere.net