On 06/10/2013 04:42 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

Actually we describe what archive_command needs to fulfill, and tell them
to use something that accomplishes that.  The example with cp is explicitly
given as an example, not a recommendation.

If we offer cp as an example, we *are* recommending it.  If we don't
recommend it, we shouldn't have it as an example.

In fact, if we don't recommend cp, then PostgreSQL should ship with some
example shell scripts for archive commands, just as we do for init scripts.

Not a bad idea. One that supports rsync and another that supports robocopy. That should cover every platform we support.

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC, @cmdpromptinc